December 1, 2015

Magnat Classic 400 (Part 1) - Finest Old-school Car Amplifier

I can say that I am quite lucky to have this 25 years old Magnat Classic 400. It is my car amplifier back in early 2000. This is a 4 channel car amplifier that rated pure 50 watt per channel, not top of the line product from Magnat and it is quite affordable at that time. But despite it is affordable, the build quality for this amplifier is top notch. I can say this is the finest amplifier for the money that no any other product could match.
This is the Germany made car amplifier. The case of this amplifier is made by pure aluminium. From the heat-sink, side panels, and the top cover are CNC machined aluminium. The weight is around 5 kilo and very heavy like a tank.

The slim profile amplifier make the look even nicer.

The unique terminal connection for the power input and speakers output is only using a socket. The durability is not as good as the bolt-on terminals just like today amplifier.

Now lets see what components inside.

The high quality potentiometer is paid my attention. You can say ALPS from Japan is very good, but this is a Europe potentiometers is from Piher.

Overall components inside are from Germany, you can easily spot WIMA, Philips and Roedenstain.

The power supply section is also from Germany components except the big electrolytic capacitors.

Since I don't using this amplifier around 10 years, maybe I should check the bias voltage.

The bias point for each channel are difference several volt. Maybe it is because of the degradation of the components inside. I set them around 300 mV and the amplifier become warmer now.

This amplifier is still working perfect and I love it so much. I definitely will try it on my car.

Part 2 final can be find here

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment