June 20, 2016

Shortest Signal Path Tripath TA2024 Car Audio Amplifier

My previous project using Tripath amplifier here is give a big smile on my face. The single rail voltage amplifier could produce seductive and sweet vocal which mostly we only can find on more expensive audio system, let's say a tube amplifier. The power output from this amplifier is quite small for a solid state, but this amplifier could drive my stereo speaker with ease. So, I try to figuring out if  this amplifier could become my car audio amplifier.


Previously, this amplifier are using one big capacitor and bypass with MBM 1 uF paper cap on the power supply.

Perhaps you know that I've built a regulated power supply using LT1083 here. It is the best single regulator IC that capable produce current up to 7 ampere! I using it at my test bench for pre-initial listening for my several single rail class D amplifier including this Tripath.
The sound quality differences by this regulated power supply is day and night. I barely notice the low bass are more solid, the vocal are clean and sweet, thus the background noise are very low.
I will using this amplifier in my car audio system and of course clean and stable power supply will give great impact to sound quality.

As you know the voltage on car will often change due to rotation from the alternator. It charges the battery also feed all electrical system in the car itself. The battery act just like ultra high capacity capacitor. And this is the voltage reading on my volt meter during morning at the engine off.

This is the voltage reading during engine runnning and you see the voltage is increase up to 14.27 volt.

Looking the datasheet of the amplifier, this TA2024 has the maximum voltage tolerate to this IC is only maximum at 14 volt. So leave this IC with those voltage directly from the car battery will shortening the life of the IC itself.

Using LT1083 as a regulated power supply is very easy to made. The schematic is same as the LM317. The voltage output can be set by only turning the potentiometer. In this case, I setup the output voltage at 13,4 volt. With this LT1083, no matter how much voltage input are, the output will be stay the same.

Itchy itchy hands, why you never leave the board alone? I made some upgrade again.

Now it's all done. A regulated Tripath TA2024 amplifier for my car. Keep continue reading, the story is just begun.

For years, I believe to achieve great sound at car should using the digital processing system. This DSP will do the setting for time alignment and multi EQ for brings up the music just in front of you. Sadly, the truth are far from that theory.

The low cost DSP like on your average head units or budget DSP sytem will not give you the live of the music, the warmth of the vocal, and the beat that intimate you as the listener. The path from digital source to analog, then going digital again for the DSP and back to analog again to be amplify and feed to the speakers are the very long journey. No wonder a lot of information are manipulated and degrade from the original before they reach to the speakers and your ears.

So this is my condition: I drive my car to my office and during weekend. I never listen to the radio and rarely use CD's in the car. I feel more convenient to have my music library online like on my Apple Music app or WAV files on my Ipod. By that reason, I don't need the HU anymore.

Dang....! no radio right now, only the shelves.

This is the only a hole left on my car audio system. This 3.5 mm jack is the standard input jack from any portable player. This is an analog input and all music are going through this hole.

Then I am using the ancient potentiometer as a volume control. Anyway, the HU from reputable car audio brands like Denon, McIntosh and Clarion are still using analog potentiometer as their volume control. They could easily using digital volume control so the user can do piip.. piip.. to rise the sound but they are not do it. They know that analog do not degrade the sound as much as the digital.

So after I write all my consideration about this controversy car audio on my car, how does it sound?

Simply, I am now believe that great amplifier give the big impact to the overall sound quality. My Tripath amplifier can brings the music up. The live of the music and overall sound quality are deliver very well. The sound-stage is created very well even without DSP. It also very efficient in power consumption and very suitable to this car application.

Oh yes, there are the cons that I should describe. With little power output from this Tripath amplifier, the speakers should efficient enough to deliver the music, otherwise you will hear clipping from the speakers before it reach the proper volume level.

It is quite fun that I have several DAP to connect in this audio system and I am telling you that they give different color in overall sound. I think I should borrow anyone who has the Astell & Kern AK-380 to test in my system:)

At this moment I enjoying beautiful music Take Another Five (live) from Grover Washington Jr. and Hot Night In Baton Rouge from Chantal Chamberland.



Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment