December 31, 2017

I Bought Myself A JBL Car Audio System

In this last day of 2017, I opened the package that has delivered since several days ago. I ordered myself a JBL car audio system and they are actually only a pair coaxial speakers and a JBL sound processor.

Why JBL?! Why not others brand? Well, I get them with special price, the JBL MS-2 sound processor only less than US$60 compares from their first launch is about US$200, and the coaxial speakers GTO-629 for about US$80. It is a good deal and no harm to try them all.


Car sound processor are cheap right now. this MS-2 is a pocket processor that offer very simple setup for every car.

The package of this MS-2 is quite good in my opinion.

Inside the box, it is straight forward. Only the processor unit, 2 pair of 3.5 mm cable jack and car power adapter. Honestly, the plastic and cables quality are cheap.



This MS-2 processor not very small but still handy. I wonder if this MS-2 launch 20 years ago, maybe car audio enthusiast should pay more than US$2,000 for this kind processor.

This processor is only for 2 channel. I will pair it with my simple car audio system from my post here.

The reason why this processor price is falling each year is because the messy cable around. Next time I will build my own 6 volt regulated output feed to this MS-2 and hide it away.

Now is the new speakers from JBL.

What I liked when buying product from reputable brand is they always include all accessories for easy installation.

The accessories, the bolts and the foam tape for sealed between speakers and the car body are all included.


Also the ring spacer for most car OEM speakers replacement are included.

This is the best accessories in my opinion, the logo of JBL.

Take a tour to the speakers itself, It is quite heavy.

The tweeter are covered with honeycomb grille. It is a cloth dome tweeter.

The tweeter are adjustable depending on what angle you want it to focus, just turn it gently.

The magnet size is big and the woofer cone are made from molded plastic for weather proof.

By looking inside, you will find the coil for -12 db slope for tweeter.



And the capacitor as well.

When I attaching the foam tape, I just realized that this speaker depth is quite shallow and extra adapter in the door panel are not necessary.

Resistor? Oh ya, that is for extra attenuation for tweeter.

The switch for that attenuation is in front of the tweeter itself. Very nice indeed!

That's all for the tour. The installation to my car is only less than an hour for speakers and only couple minutes for the MS-2 processor.

I cannot say much for the speakers, they are brand new and not even break-in. The processor itself are quite simple in installation but so many cables around.

The performance of this processor is good, the setup is fast and the result for auto EQ is similar to the processor built-in the head unit Pioneer that I use before. Also the image button is actually the time alignment button. This time alignment not as powerful as Pioneer head units, but still okay.

I try this MS-2 on my wife car which all standard audio system. The result in my opinion is not good. The sound become thin and less powerful. It is totally different in my car. So in my opinion, the result of this MS-2 is very depending on what audio system that you are using. The better the components, the better sound you get.

Disclaimer: Any statement and photos in this article are not allowed to copy or publish without written permission from the writer. Any injury or loss from following tips in this article is not under writer responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment